Make a delicious and warm Pea Soup for colder days, a great option for your dinner!
Let’s prepare Pea Soup using the ingredients below and follow the instructions for preparation.
2 cups dried peas (or 4 cups fresh peas)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1 bay leaf
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sour cream (optional, for serving)
Croutons (optional, for serving)
Chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley or mint) for garnish (optional)
- If you are using dried peas, start by washing and draining them. If you are using fresh peas, you can skip this step.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until soft and lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped carrots and potatoes to the pan and sauté for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peas (dried or fresh) to the pan and stir well.
- Pour the vegetable broth or water into the pan and add the bay leaf. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Let cook, partially covered, for about 30-40 minutes, or until the peas and vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the soup to a conventional blender in batches and then return to the pot.
- If the soup is too thick, you can add more vegetable broth or water to adjust the consistency.
- Heat the soup again over low heat if necessary.
- Serve the pea soup hot. If desired, add a tablespoon of cream to the dish before serving and garnish with chopped fresh herbs and croutons.