Ground beef Escondidinho is a delicious Brazilian dish, much appreciated for its combination of flavors and textures.
Hidden ground beef
Here is a very delicious and basic recipe for preparing ground beef escondidinho:
- For the puree:
500g cassava (or potato) peeled and cut into pieces
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup of milk (approximately)
- For the ground beef filling:
500g of ground beef
1 chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 chopped tomatoes
1 chopped pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon paprika (sweet or spicy, depending on your preference)
Chopped parsley (optional)
- For assembly:
Grated cheese (mozzarella, parmesan, or whatever you prefer)
- Cook the cassava (or potato) in salted water until it is soft. Drain well and mash with a fork or pass through a potato ricer. Add the butter and milk little by little, until you get a creamy puree. Reserve.
- In a large pan, heat some olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until golden.
- Add the ground beef and cook until it is completely cooked and golden. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and paprika. Add the tomatoes and peppers, and let cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a refractory, assemble the layers of the escondidinho: add half of the cassava (or potato) puree, spread the braised ground meat on top and then cover with the rest of the puree.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the puree.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Remove from the oven and top with chopped parsley before serving.