Cauliflower au gratin is a delicious and easy-to-prepare recipe. It combines the soft texture of cauliflower with a creamy sauce and cheese gratin on top.
Here is the basic recipe for making cauliflower au gratin:
1 medium cauliflower
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of wheat flour
2 cups of milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (or other cheese of your choice)
Salt and pepper to taste
Nutmeg (optional) for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash the cauliflower well and cut it into smaller florets.
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender but still firm. Drain the water and reserve the cooked cauliflower.
- In another pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the wheat flour and stir constantly until a homogeneous paste forms, this is called “roux”.
- Gradually add the milk to the roux mixture, stirring constantly to avoid the formation of lumps. Continue cooking over medium heat until the sauce thickens and becomes creamy.
- Season the sauce with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg, if preferred.
- Turn off the heat and mix ¾ cup of grated cheese into the sauce. Stir until the cheese is fully incorporated into the sauce.
- In an ovenproof dish or baking dish, place the cooked cauliflower florets.
- Pour the creamy cheese sauce over the cauliflower, covering it evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese on top.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for around 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.