Here's Everything You Need To Know About The Maxis Awards
Technology is advancing at a rapid rate, and countries need to keep up to remain globally competitive. In Malaysia, telecommunications company Maxis is playing a role in helping the nearly 32 million-strong nation develop its digital economy.
Maxis wants to enable and empower more Malaysians to harness digital technology to create a positive impact in their communities and stay ahead. With the launch of the Maxis Awards, the company is committing RM5 million (around US$1.2 million) to help develop and promote at least a dozen Malaysia-based projects in the next 12 months.
Concurrently, Gen.T is partnering with Maxis to launch the inaugural Maxis Awards. The programme will support two entrepreneurs from the Gen.T community who are harnessing digital tools to bring about meaningful social impact within their community.
Candidates will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Value The project must benefit its target community economically, socially or environmentally.
- Innovation The project demonstrates a new or improved way of solving a problem.
- Enabled by tech The project is driven by digital technologies such as artificial intelligence, the internet of things or blockchain technology.
- Project duration The project needs to be completed within six months and show quantifiable results.
The two winners of the Maxis Awards will each receive:
- A grant worth up to RM150,000 (around US$36,000) in monetary funding and Maxis digital solutions for a year.
- Access to technical expertise at Maxis.
- Branding and publicity on Maxis’ marketing channels.
Over the last month, Gen.T and Maxis received numerous entries from Malaysian entrepreneurs for the inaugural Maxis Awards. Applications have come from leaders in a diverse range of industries, from renewable energy to healthtech.
On September 1, the selected finalists pitched their project to a panel of judges. The two winning projects will be announced on September 24. Watch this space to see who wins.
Read more about the Maxis Awards.